Once I reviewed the hand-drawn panels, I used Procreate to setup a panel template with these settings. Even though I intended the finished size to be 1.5 inches by 2.0 inches, I created larger panels that resulted in images 3.0 by 4.0 inches when printed at 300 dpi.
My first step with each panel was to display the Bible text, which I had previously determined. I also sketched – on a separate layer – the basic pose of the characters included in the panel.
Next, I drew the characters.
Finally, I applied some shading. For most panels, I used a 30% opacity of a black fill to represent sinful characters, even the scapegoat. I also added text labels for clarity.
The image below is a screenshot of the Procreate layers for this panel.
I exported completed panels to my iPad’s photos and from there added them to a Apples Pages 5×5 table, with the Old Testament panels as one grid (one page) and the New Testament on another table side.
In my next post I’ll share how I transitioned from the grid view of 50 panels to the comic book look.