In my last post I shared about a mini workbook I created using the 8-page zine format. The zine is formed from a letter-size piece of paper (8.5 x 11 inches).
Below is the process I used to create the PDF version of the mini workbook, from conception to publishing.
- 1 Review Content – I reviewed content from my book, Story Secrets from Scripture, and a workshop that I developed based on the book.
- 2 Create pages – I adjusted the slide size in Keynote and created the eight pages needed for the mini workbook. Keynote is Apple’s equivalent to Microsoft PowerPoint.
- 3 Export as images – The advantage of using presentation software is that the slides can be saved as images. I exported the slides as high resolution in JPEG format to my camera roll.
- 4 Use template to layout – Procreate is a graphics editing software similar to Adobe Photoshop. It is designed for the iPad. I used Procreate to design a template that I could then use to guide me in importing the page images. You can see the template below. Because the mini workbook is folded lengthwise, the tops of pages 2-5 and the bottoms of pages 1 (cover) and 6-8 must meet in the center of the template, as you can see below.
- 5 Import and resize – I imported the eight pages from my camera roll into the Procreate template. All pages had to be resize to fit in the template, and pages 2-5 needed to be rotated 180 degrees.
- 6 Hide template and export – Finally, I hid the template layers and exported the mini workbook as a PDF. I uploaded this to my Amazon site for sharing.